Saturday, February 21, 2015

Conn Strobotuner ST4 with Electro-Voice 915 Crystal Microphone

I got this strobe tuner off a nice old guy from Craig's List. He said that, "He was getting out of the piano tuning business. It's a lost art." I wanted an excellent tuner for setting up guitars. I figured that I'd rather spend $50 on an old vacumm tube strobe tuner than a new digital one. I guess that makes me an old soul. But mind you that I'm not about to turn my garage into a horse stable. 
The Conn Strobotuner ST4 is as about as manual as it gets, which tech guys like myself love. You have to first warm it up on calibrate mode, then actually calibrate the unit using a knob that adjusts the pitch. The object is to balance a blurred black square in the center of the orange window. Then you switch to operate mode and select which note that you want to tune. You use a line in or supply crystal microphone via 1/4" phono jack and adjust its signal strength by a knob. The microphone is hinged 90 degrees so that the whole unit can be set atop a piano with the microphone parallel to strings.

The Conn Strobotuner ST4 is made in U.S.A. as well as the Electro-Voice model 915 crystal microphone, the latter of which is labeled "Buchannan, MI," Electro-Voice's city of origin.

The old guy said that the unit was recently serviced. It works flawlessly. I set up a Fender Telecaster with it and it sounded the best I''ve ever played it.

No comments:

Post a Comment