Saturday, February 14, 2015

Panasonic TRH 513T Black & White Television

Nostalgia! My mom bought me one of these for good grades when I was 11-years-old. I was destined to work in engineering as I blew my brothers and friends away by figuring out how to hook up our NES to it and play games, what then seemed remotely, in our upstairs bedroom. I eventually lost or blew up the AC power supply adapter which led me to use the costly D battery option. This led to one of my first engineering observations as a kid. The TV side of the unit consumed much more power than the radio. A fresh set of D batteries would last maybe 15 hours on the TV side and shut down. However, I listened to the radio on those same set of batteries for months. Thus, the power consumption of radios is minuscule in the world of electronics.

I found the Panasonic portable TV pictured at a thrift store, in new condition. I had not seen nor really though of the TV in nearly 20 years. It instantly took me back.

I paid $10 for it.

Although I wondered how and if it would work with the new digital antenna system. The kid engineer in me went back to work. I hooked a digital converter box from one of our old TVs and, BAM!, channels! The digital converter box had a remote, so not only did I have digital TV on my portable TV from the 80s, but I also now could surf channels easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment